[p2p-research] Fwd: [fcforum] Free Culture Charter - Free Knowledge version & Ten Points for Change

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 01:34:33 CET 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Wouter Tebbens <wouter at freeknowledge.eu>
Date: Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 6:09 PM
Subject: [fcforum] Free Culture Charter - Free Knowledge version & Ten
Points for Change
To: fcforum at list.fcforum.net, Discussion list for the Education track at FCF
<fcf-education at freeknowledge.eu>

Dear all,

during the FCF sessions in Barcelona we collectively produced a very
valuable set of documents, which was turned into the first version of the
Charter. With several people we felt it necessary to explain the Charter in
our own words to make it more understandable for the network of people
around Free Knowledge and Libre Knowledge. Many people have asked us about
that. See [1] for the resulting Free Knowledge version.

In short we used the three Demands sections, for Education, Infrastructure
requirements and Legal demands and added a strong introduction and context
to that. Much of that intro was already written in Barcelona by the
Education and A2K working group, [2]. In particular much credit goes to Kim
Tucker. Kim worked both in the EDU & A2K group and on the Libre Knowledge
version, see [3].

All in all we hope this version will help to a) explain the Charter from a
Free Knowledge perspective, b) contribute to the spreading of the FCF
Charter in general and c) contribute to a version 2.0 or later of the
Charter.

We also made a summary of *Ten Points for Change* which is based on Charter
and various discussions during the Forum. This summary is however not an
exact match of the Charter document and we therefore will present it as Ten
Points For Change, drawn from the Free Culture Forum process, see [4]. Your
comments are more than welcome to help improve. Please use the discussion
tabs of the corresponding wikipages.

Links:
[1] http://freeknowledge.eu/wiki/index.php/Free_Culture_Forum_Charter
[2]