[p2p-research] open manufacturing, generalized exchange, and non-market functions

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 20:52:40 CET 2010

On 1/29/10, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think you are right Ryan,
>
> feudalism did not just replace slavery because it was more competitive with
> slaves, but because it was an entirely different value proposition and
> social organization; and similarly capitalism did not compete with feudal
> landlords on feudal terms; I think similarly p2p represents a new value
> proposition and social organisation ... It will take over if the former is
> sufficiently in crisis not to be able to solve deeprooted and increasing
> social and environmental problems of its own creation ... of course, I think
> this is effectively the case ..
>
> The anwswer depends to a large degree if capitalism can integrate the
> externalities that it has historically 'externalized' ... which has be
> considered highly unlikely,
>
> I personally think this has to do with the very core logic of the system,
> but I'm willing to be proven wrong, both in argument, and in practice,
>
> Michel

There are about 5 things about capitalism that I don't think anyone really
understands yet:

1. Profit is harder and harder...and more concentrated in fewer enterprises.
2. Credit is harder and harder because of 1 and more concentrated in fewer
enterprises.
3. Consumer demand is never going to fall, but consumer debt capacity can be
easily maximized.
4. Several externalities are being ignored.  This will have systemic
implications.
5. Wage labor is becoming irrelevant...first because of globalization,
second because of technology, third because of disintermediation of
institutions by social network technologies--everyone is becoming a
freelancer.

Any one of those could disrupt the system completely.  In concert, they are
a completely unpredictable set of forces.  Prediction is extremely hard
now.  There are just too many tidal changes going on at once.