[p2p-research] Fwd: [fcforum] Fw: iPad DRM is a dangerous step backward. Sign the petition!

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 20:38:12 CET 2010

On 1/29/10, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com> wrote:

> questions for me are: can the format of the latter change to take into
> account social and environmental externalities; and, can communities and
> for-benefit players maintain sufficient economy vis a vis their
> collaborating enterpreneurial coalitions?
>
> but p2p has never been about filesharing, I agree 100%, and it offers no
> solutions to artists and creators, so it is as best an epiphenomema, a sign
> of the pathology of the old system, rather than a mature model of the new,
>
> Michel

If a DRM intensive model is attractive to the marketplace, then P2P
designers are doing something wrong.  One thing is certain: There won't be
10 different successful global DRM framework models.  There will only be one
to three.  Apple is the clear leader now.  The opportunity for the world to
open up against a hegemonic Apple have just gone up several fold.  Meet the
new boss...same as the old one.

IBM has already successfully moved toward open systems and cloud
systems.  The organizations that lost the day the iPad was announced are
independent book sellers, Oracle, PC clone makers (e.g. Dell and HP...which
are increasingly irrelevant desktop outside business markets). and anyone
who writes software for non-mobile devices.  It probably saved book and
newspaper publishers who now have a platform on which to deliver news while
maintaining their broadsheet and text looks.

Ryan