[p2p-research] open manufacturing, generalized exchange, and non-market functions

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 15:58:06 CET 2010

I think you are right Ryan,

feudalism did not just replace slavery because it was more competitive with
slaves, but because it was an entirely different value proposition and
social organization; and similarly capitalism did not compete with feudal
landlords on feudal terms; I think similarly p2p represents a new value
proposition and social organisation ... It will take over if the former is
sufficiently in crisis not to be able to solve deeprooted and increasing
social and environmental problems of its own creation ... of course, I think
this is effectively the case ..

The anwswer depends to a large degree if capitalism can integrate the
externalities that it has historically 'externalized' ... which has be
considered highly unlikely,

I personally think this has to do with the very core logic of the system,
but I'm willing to be proven wrong, both in argument, and in practice,

Michel