[p2p-research] open manufacturing, generalized exchange, and non-market functions

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 15:17:01 CET 2010

On 1/29/10, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Let me repeat that it is imminent that we don't just apply/introduce
> market mechanisms to nonmarket projects (see Benkler's blood example).
> When we keep this in mind we might end up catalyzing an important
> paradigm shift, if we forget this, we might just mess up functional
> projects!
>
> Erik
> http://blog.erikdebruijn.nl/

This is exactly right. (of course important...not imminent)  The key point
is that nonmarket projects need to be politically and economically
compelling...not politically and economically competitive.  If it is a
paradigm shift, it is self-evident and disruptive.  Else, it is simply
evolutionary and derivative.

It is an unresolved question as to whether open approaches can matter.
Personally, I still see the model as all but inevitable.  That said, markets
are responding and innovating.  That innovation will have to drive
non-market approaches...not to compete, but to be more compelling and to
avoid being disrupted.  That is, to "win" by being different.  That implies
co-existance until one is simply not compelling.  It is not on
price/performance that P2P wins, but on creating a different worldview.
Unless it is feature rich, timely, responsive and of high quality, no one is
going to abandon market models outside of a fringe group.  Mozilla is
interesting in that it merges the two.  Open Manufacturing is going to need
systems and methods for sharing and developing knowledge that are easy,
open, logical and foundry-like.  Strangely, P2P is failing on interpersonal
communications.

Ryan