[p2p-research] User Freedom and the Purpose of Profit

Alex Rollin alex.rollin at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 10:44:31 CET 2010

Thank you for sharing this Patrick.

I've been looking to have a conversation about indirect effects that might
be tracked in such a situation.

I have not finished reading your other links yet.

I also don't want to go to far off-topic, but this post got my mind racing.

What about looking at "levels" when we talk about prices?

Without triggering the often returned to debate about whether money is good
or bad, can we look at how the decision to purchase is a decision about the
level of participation and involvement the purchaser is making?

This is a customer side look at the decision to purchase and purchase again.

For example, if I buy the hamburger the 3rd time, I might be willing to pay
6.25 to double my profit contribution.

At some point I might "break even" as a vested partner, which might mean I
could purchase burgers at the $3.75 rate, but I want to see the "sources"
shared with other business, so I continue to pay $5.00 to maintain my vote
for that direction.

I'm not sure that I understand the overall utility of ever 'lowering' the
price to 3.75 since this points at some kind of 'stable' system, the likes
of which I have never seen.  Part of what I am sure you get at in your other
links is the fact that the purchase and the participation in the 'community
of decision makers' are similar but not necessarily the same thing,
depending on how things are run.

Just because I buy a hamburger doesn't mean I'm in favor of acquisition of
ore sources.  It just means I'm complicit.

To go further, which sources, how deep into the supply chain, and for how
long (1 year or perpeuity) are the sources secured?  I realize these are
decisions that every organization must make on it's own.  I feel that these
are important things to look at, though, not because I am rallying one way
or the other but because I want to look at them, and I crave an environment
where these are the issues that need addressing :)

Alex
I cannot teach anybody anything, I can only make them think.- Socrates