[p2p-research] a new funding mechanism for useful online services

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 16:40:50 CET 2010

I think I agree with you. Not for profit foundations and cooperatives
that are co-governed by participants seem like better candidates for
maintaining the scarce infrastructure than a for-profit business.

This should not preclude for-profit business from using the
peer-produced resource. A good example perhaps is the IBM projects
that are contributed back to Apache foundation (hadoop, etc). IBM
doesn't run Apache foundation, but it can use from and contribute back
to the commons that is maintained by Apache foundation on behalf of
contributors.

Sam Rose
Forward Foundation
Social Synergy