[p2p-research] Fwd: 2020 Forecast: Creating the Future of Learning

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 04:39:44 CET 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Dante-Gabryell Monson <dante.monson at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 6:24 AM
Subject: 2020 Forecast: Creating the Future of Learning
To: Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>, Samuel Rose <
samuel.rose at gmail.com>

*http://www.futureofed.org/*
*
*http://www.futureofed.org/pdf/forecast/2020_forecast.pdf*
*
*"This 2020 Forecast: Creating the Future of Learning*
*reveals how many of our fundamental relationships—*
*with ourselves; within our organizations; and with*
*systems, societies, and economies—are being reimagined*
*and re-created in ways that will disrupt*
*the status quo and challenge our usual assumptions.*
*The following pages will help you explore how these*
*different dimensions of our world are changing*
*and how we all can shape the future of learning."*
*
*
*"Personal fabrication*
*technologies and*
*open-source principles*
*democratize production*
*and design*
*
*
*New forms of bottom-up social networking and*
*economic coordination, along with advances in*
*small-scale, community-based fabrication and*
*design, transform local economies in the next*
*decade, enabling productive fl exibility that will help*
*cushion against economic instability. New tools,*
*including 3D printers (desktop printers that print*
*out objects, parts, and components), computercontrolled*
*machine tools (such as laser cutters),*
*and online networking applications (that allow*
*designers, consumers, tinkerers, and artisans to*
*share blueprints, solutions, and how-to knowledge)*
*will enable local communities to “make” their own*
*economic futures—to innovate, customize, design,*
*and create solutions to meet local needs. Schools,*
*community centers, and local businesses will*
*become important hubs of design knowledge, rapid*
*prototyping, and problem-solving skills that will*
*increase local interdependencies and resilience,*
*redefi ning relationships with the broader economy.*
*• What new skills are required for the maker*
*economy, and what industrial and knowledge*
*economy skills remain important?*
*• What new models of education suggested by*
*the maker economy transcend industrial-age,*
*assembly-line models?"*