[p2p-research] [OK] Necessary research on open enterprise ecosystems

Suresh Fernando suresh at radical-inclusion.com
Sun Jan 24 18:18:50 CET 2010

Sam et al.,

A couple of things you say are worth digging into. As an aside and in
response to Chris, this is the sort of discussion that I think is worthwhile
as it serves to provide depth. The problem with 'short burst' communication,
to use Jeff's term is that it is not possible to look closely enough at
anything to actually agree on something, align views etc. Since
collaboration is a central principle for OK, digging deeply enough to
generate alignment, work through tough issues etc.,

You say:
*This suggests that if/where "open" tends to really equal
"commons", that the ecology is a long term investment pay-off (not a
short term quick payoff).  *

*The Question of the Relationship Between Openness and The Commons*
The primary underlying principles that are guiding the development of OK are
a commitment to openness and a commitment to collaborative process. In
operating in this way, we are no doubt both creating a commons and
contributing to a commons (the Ecosystem model, for example). It is
impossible to make all of your information and processes completely open and
not be creating a commons, I would submit. That said, there probably hasn't
been enough thinking on what the relationship between the development of an
open and collaborative operating framework and the development of a commons
is.

Provisionally you could say that the two notions converge based on* longer
term intentions*; a long term positive payoff for all participants, as you
suggest. If so, the longer term intention for OK is explicitly stated;* ' To
Connect Projects To Solve Massive Social Problems'.*

All our activity is developed with this intention and I will, in due course,
be submitting documentation to the group explaining exactly how our every
action today is directly aligned with this larger objective.

We welcome all intellectual property created by OK to used, more generally,
for any project that brings about *positive social change*. I will leave it
up to the discretion of the user of our content to determine what that
means.
*
On Discerning Whether Behaviour is Short or Long Term in Nature*
I confess that it is easy for me to say the above and it raises the question
as to the veracity of my bold claim that our every action is aligned with
the objective of *' Connecting Projects To Solve Massive Social
Problems'.*So how can people gauge if this should be taken seriously.
More generally,
how can one gauge whether others have a short or long term perspective that
guides their actions and their attempts to engage with others?

I would submit the following criteria:

   - Is there a clearly articulated vision? - is it documented?
   - Do the elements of the vision hang together? Can dots be connected?
   - Is there consistency in what is said: it is, in fact, helpful if groups
   develop a certain conceptual architecture that becomes a part of their
   common language; defining with some precision the notion of 'ecosystem', for
   example.
   - Is there consistency between what is stated and what is acted upon?; a
   true connection between creed and deed. *Does the person do what they say
   they are going to do? *This is important as it reflects that a view of
   the long term guides short term commitments.

I believe that the biggest evidence of lack of vision and a short term focus
is an inconsistency between what is said and what is acted upon as it
reflects lack of clarity and lack of focus.

At OK we will, barring natural disasters etc. ALWAYS do what we say we are
going to do.

I am placing this commitment in the public domain because I want to be held
accountable.

This is my personal commitment to those that I am working with.

*Potential Research Topics for Matt*
You say:
*
My opinion is that the best thing you could research now would be how
existing projects successfully operate with a combination of revenue
models and common pool resources (without the short-term pressure of
the pursuit of revenue dominating and destroying the commons-based
activity).*

I agree that this is a solid line of attack and would certainly generate
valuable information for all of us. Central to the OK mission is bridging
'open' and 'mainstream' culture and an understanding of those that are
actually doing it and how would be great.

I look forward to everyone's thoughts!

Suresh

Suresh Fernando
WEBSITE: http://radical-inclusion.com