[p2p-research] [OK] Necessary research on open enterprise ecosystems

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 15:38:20 CET 2010

Hi Matt,

On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 12:33 AM, Matt Cooperrider
<mattcooperrider at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> As I've mentioned before, I have to produce a 50 page thesis paper for my MA
> at NYU.  My topic has always been, more or less, "open enterprise".
>
> I've made many attempts, but I always suffer from scope creep.  Perhaps if I
> am working on something that is needed and useful right now, I can stay
> focused.  Also, I've have never had access to so many people talking about
> open enterprise together in one space as I do now.

There are multiple angles you could pursue, Matt.

It's my opinion that we are at the stage now where people need
practical knowledge about succeeding as a commons-based networked
enterprise.

There are still serious issues with basic assumptions about
compensation models, the value and worth of labor, and the assumptions
people have about the sustainability of gratis/free content online.

There are approaches to so-called "open enterprise" that are really
just attempts at establishing and maintaining a digital form of
serfdom. The perception is that it is even cheaper now to become rich,
because speculators can divert the value and flow of other's labor
towards

There are multiple widespread mis-perceptions about:

1. How co-leverage the value in networks

2. The core motivations of people participating in networks

3, What people in networks *are* (are they people to build
relationships with based around activities and problems of mutual
interest, or are they resources to be used?)

I've also got some material in
http://holocene.cc/wagn/Sustaining_online_communities_that_are_connected_to_open_enterprise

> So, open question: what would be the most useful piece of specific, concrete
> research on open enterprise ecosystems that I could contribute right now?  I
> have until August.
>
> MC
>
> p.s. FF dudes, I'm looking at you 8-)
>
> --
> Matt Cooperrider, Consultant
> BLOG: http://mattcoop.com
> SITE: http://collabforge.com
> TWITTER: @mattcoop
> PHONE: 347.878.8277
> M.O.: http://notanemployee.net/
>
> --
> This is a message from the OpenKollab Google Group located at
> http://groups.google.com/group/openkollab?hl=en

Sam Rose
Forward Foundation
Social Synergy