[p2p-research] 1992 versus 2010 -- Haiti

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 18:25:00 CET 2010

On 1/13/10, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com> wrote:

> i think ryan is suggesting that it is contradictory that they have
> undeniable value, yet make no profit ..

That is what I meant, but I also meant that it is the peer to peer aspect
where the value lies, not in the corporate component and yet people are
still doing the projects...what is more, there are a whole raft of other
similar sorts of no value proposition (in a corporate sense) projects not
far behind.  The Kurzweil reader which I copied here is only one example.
I've seen several others.

I take this as evidence that profit is dying except for commodity
monopolies.  More important than what is dying, it is the rise of something
far more powerful.  My wife told me she turned off CNN (after I had gone to
bed) because Facebook had far newer stuff and what CNN was showing she'd
seen 2 hours earlier on Facebook.  That is extraordinary...and profound.
Even if FB or Twitter went out of business, they'd now be reconstituted as
co-ops almost certainly.  I think we often forget that the Internet and the
standards body that made it were effectively co-ops.  People like my old
acquaintance Scott Bradner at Harvard spent untold hours putting the details
into those proposed standards.  It worked.  The same thing is now happening
with information in general.

I am not against profits.  But I am against profits for the sake of
profits.  We simply don't understand the world yet where they don't exist in
a dominant way.   It is coming fairly quickly, however.

I talked to someone doing Zip cars by the way...said it is fantastic.

Ryan