[p2p-research] The evolution of P2P science

Tomas Rawlings tom at fluffylogic.net
Wed Jan 13 14:05:14 CET 2010

> We will need to do biology research in fundamentally different social
> contexts as we move into this next decade. This means biologists will need
> to start pooling their knowledge through social networking channels, not
> unlike how computer scientists have long done for open source software
> development.
>
> *Stephen H. Friend is president, CEO and a co-founder of Sage Bionetworks,
> an international genomic research collaborative. *

I've been thinking that the whole climate change thing is interesting
has it moves science into a p2p realm.  Take the example of the weather
station monitoring data.  Far from simply being told "this is the way it
is" we are now getting the raw data released to the public domain
(http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/data-sources/ which is good) so
people can do with it as they will.

So some try to disprove global warming with it;
http://wattsupwiththat.com/2009/12/08/the-smoking-gun-at-darwin-zero/
While others use it to disprove the attempted disprove;
http://www.gilestro.tk/2009/lots-of-smoke-hardly-any-gun-do-climatologists-falsify-data/
(Summary of this here;
http://anarchist606.blogspot.com/2009/12/denailist-proves-global-warming-fraud.html
)

Either way, the release and use of the data into the public domain means
p2p science is on the way...

--
Tomas

Tomas Rawlings
Development Director, FluffyLogic Development Ltd.
web: www.fluffylogic.net
tel: 0117 9442233
-
Also see:
blog on film & interweb: www.plugincinema.com
blog on p2p, media ecology & evolution: blog.catbot.org
tweet: www.twitter.com/arclightfire