[p2p-research] 2010 will be a hot year in the US

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Jan 13 13:35:53 CET 2010

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 05:24:25PM -0600, Kevin Carson wrote:

> What Kunstler says is true, but it's only one side of it.  He strikes

I agree that Kunstler is well worth listening to, up to a point.
His suggestions are a temporary workaround at best, a dead
end at worst and definitely not a solution.

> me as a stereotypical liberal who pines for the days of the post-WWII
> middle class consensus where every aspect of life was regulated by
> "the proper authorities."  He has no appreciation at all for the
> network culture, its resilience, or the network generation's potential

The "network culture" so far could well be just a pretty phrase.
The proof of the pudding etc.

> for routing around many of the obstacles created by Peak Oil and
> finding cheaper relocalized alternatives without some sort of big
> government liberal Manhattan Project to supervise the process.

A lot of R&D required is definitely out of reach of small shops
and communities. You need both bottom up and top down pulling
in the same direction for optimal effects. Of course we're not
exactly getting that, at least not yet.