[p2p-research] 2010 will be a hot year in the US

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 01:23:03 CET 2010

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 6:24 PM, Kevin Carson <
free.market.anticapitalist at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/12/10, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > VIA
> > http://kunstler.com/blog/2009/12/forecast-2010.html#more
> >
> > A LOT more interesting stuff in that article,
>
> What Kunstler says is true, but it's only one side of it.  He strikes
> me as a stereotypical liberal who pines for the days of the post-WWII
> middle class consensus where every aspect of life was regulated by
> "the proper authorities."  He has no appreciation at all for the
> network culture, its resilience, or the network generation's potential
> for routing around many of the obstacles created by Peak Oil and
> finding cheaper relocalized alternatives without some sort of big
> government liberal Manhattan Project to supervise the process.

It is fair to classify him as a political (not economic) liberal.  He is
well-known for dystopian futurism and a great amount of criticism of
conventional modern America.  I know this because having heard my views
people have several times referred me to his work.  He has written in and
around the Atlantic (a magazine I consider America's best) for a number of
years.  He's a well-known center-left intellectual in the sort of Ivy League
sense of the term intellectual.  I have looked at his blog and some of his
books...The Geography of Nowhere...probably 10 years ago.  Maybe 15.
Sentimentalism for a post-WW2 middle class America is also fair...I share
that particular sentimentality.

Ryan

Ryan