[p2p-research] Can Marxian Economics Explain the Crisis?

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 15:41:59 CET 2010

Hi Andy,

reading Carlota Perez, and some other stuff from Jean Zin on kondratieff
before that, I think that 73 was the normal mid-term crisis of a
kondratieff, inevitably followed by slow growth, but also, and this is the
perez insight, as a upcycle for the innovation which should be dominant in
the next cycle, (perez upcycle = kondratieff downcycle)

what complicates matters is that these cycles coincide with a more
fundamental resource and ecological/climate crisis,

normally,  the sudden system shock should be followed by a fairly long
period of deleveraging, which has historically been characterized by social
strife and wars, and dislocation of the old cycle powers,

after this, a new upcycle based on the innovation could take place, but it
will be hugely complicated by the endgame systemic issues affecting the
infinite growth machine,

this is in my opinion, which makes it the last one, and gives us a chance to
plant the seeds of the new civilizational cycle,

of course, it won't be smooth sailing, even if a relative upturn occurs

it is because the new upcycle will be so weak and fraught with systemic
weaknesses, that the alternative peer economy will be essential as an
alternative and corrective, preparing its ascendency,

if we fail, then the post-capitalist era will be very regressive, and we'll
look back at this age with wonderment and longing,

Michel