[p2p-research] Can Marxian Economics Explain the Crisis?

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 11:48:36 CET 2010

Marx's sociology--the class struggle, is an interesting historical insight.
As an economist, the standard wrap, which I agree with, is that there are no
falsifiable claims made.  In the end, it became religion or political
ideal...a hope or rallying point.  Nothing wrong with that, just not
economic theory and maybe that is a so what critique.

What someone might need to do is to take Marx into a set of assertions and
systematically test them in such a way that they can be shown to be usually
right or usually wrong.  I personally don't think such a task is feasible
given the way Marx presented his work.  But I am no expert.  Personally, as
I have said, I think little of the 18th century or 19th century is
relevant...particularly after Keynes General Theory which crushed classical
economics--the basis of Marxism as much as neoliberalism.  But that is
perhaps my own religion.  It is a demonstrable theory however that can be
relatively easily tested for truth or falsehood by anyone who believes or
doesn't believe it.

Ryan

Ryan Lanham
rlanham1963 at gmail.com