[p2p-research] [ME-09] [OK] Philosophical Underpinnings of the Importance of Collaboration

Suresh Fernando suresh at radical-inclusion.com
Tue Jan 12 06:13:19 CET 2010

See below.

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 9:00 PM, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>wrote:

> are you familiar with critical realism .. the only tenable form of realism
> I think .. worth investigating ...

No - will check out.

> my opinion is that a focus on the commonality of values around concrete
> objectives is a sufficient condition for joint approaches, independently of
> the full metaphysics of the persons involved ..

Sure... I was just trying to provide some rationale for my motivation.

> I would also like to choose to see moral realism and moral relativism as
> polarities ... it's not difficult to see widely contradictory moral values
> and opinions (gay marriage comes to mind as an example, or honour killings,
> in some countries it's morally acceptable to attack unfaithful women with
> acid, in thailand it's morally acceptable for females to cut male genitalia
> of unfaithful husbands), while it is also possible to come to certain moral
> agreements across cultures and civilisations; holding on to both the
> universal and particular, to the common and to the individual, seems to be
> the challenge.

This is what I am challenging. I am saying that some actions are right and
others are wrong (period) and the basis for this distinction rests on
scientific methodology which, as far as I am concerned, is the only rational
paradigm of truth. Of course others, religious zealots of all flavoursm for
example, will have other paradigms of truth. The basis for what is
right/wrong will be related to survival (species, individual...).

This is also why not dealing with climate change drives me crazy... I think
it's morally wrong.

I am not claiming that science has advanced to the point where we know what
these right actions are, however. My claim is that it is possible.