[p2p-research] [OK] Digest for openkollab at googlegroups.com - 6 Messages in 2 Topics

Suresh Fernando suresh at radical-inclusion.com
Mon Jan 11 16:05:12 CET 2010

James,

Great questions! - see below.

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 5:21 AM, Data Pathway <data.pathway at gmail.com>wrote:

> So, Suresh,
> Based on the explanations you have given, is there an intention on the part
> of openkollab to steer as well as map?
> by this I mean: once a clear idea has emerged as to who is doing what,
> where, will this be plotted against who NEEDS what where, again in terms of
> a vision of how each individual group (or clusters of groups) efforts drive
> for a specific paralleled goal?

It's difficult to predict exactly how all of this will unfold and a lot will
depend on what are resources are, but you can keep the following in mind:

OK is in discussion Sam Rose and his Forward Foundation team about
developing a more expanded approach that will broaden the service offering
beyond strictly financing. This will include help;

   - Identification of business models,
   - Development of associated strategies (marketing, revenue generation,
   financial modeling etc)
   - Development of associated collateral materials
   - Etc.

The ultimate goal of the Pooled Fund Initiative is to start the process of
creating a completely new way of funding early stage social ventures. Hence
we are committed to helping early stage entrepreneurs. That said, we will
never have infinite resources and therefore. practically speaking, there
will be a focus on projects that:

   - Are a part of an ecosystem that we think we can finance
   - Have resources to pay us for consulting services.

We would love to say that we can help everyone, but I think that would be a
misrepresentation.

> In that context, a look at what is ultimately needed could reveal what is
> not being addressed at all, to transition to a new mode of operation.

Absolutely!

> As a former GIS project manager, I understand that mapping reveals what
> your data "knows" about some spatial phenomena, and reveals the gaps
> or inconsistencies in that knowledge.
>
> So the real question I am asking is: does anyone have a clear vision of
> what elements are needed to effect the change we are talking about? and I
> mean specifics like at what threshold of small scale manufacturing will be
> needed as a percentage of GDP to impact the current paradigm?

I certainly don't. I should also say that what is conspicuously absent, to
date, from this model is a strategy that is domain specific. This is to say
that nothing that I have proposed so far references in any way any specific
characteristics of either the manufacturing process or distributed
manufacturing. All I have proposed is that we explore the possibility of
building collaborative frameworks and pull projects together.

I am hoping to commence conversations this week with some of the actual
project leaders, such as yourself, with a view to getting a better
understanding of the nuances of the domain itself.

In other words, I would like to be able to develop a logic that gives me
insight into what sorts of Distributed Manufacturing projects might be best
aligned.

It would be great if you can help us with this in some way.

> Need to dig up a statistician or two... ;-)
>
> Even in asking the question I doubt that the answer conforms to that
> rigorous a model since that type of analysis typically takes place AFTER the
> things have changed rather than in anticipation of it.
>
> But, ultimately, if your project does in fact end up financing these
> ecosystems then by design or accident, you will exert substantial influence
> on the process by merit of what you choose to support.

True

> In the absence of a detailed vision of what portions of our current system
> need to change makes this potentially quite arbitrary, for what is needed
> may be non-intuitive as compared to what is desired.

I'm not planning on making value judgments about what/what should not get
financed. This is a mechanism that is focused on supporting social
entrepreneurs.. Hence it is assumed that all candidates have projects that
are of social benefit and therefore are worthy.

> So another layer of query is revealed: what exactly are we trying to do to
> improve our society(s), and what specific changes will help usher those
> changes in at the quickest pace (or the most sensible pace) (or least
> disruptive pace).
>
> I think your desire to support progress is laudable, and I support your
> premise that in forming awareness of parallel activity, duplication will be
> reduced, since more borrowing of successful results can occur and numerous
> other benefits are intrinsic to the concept.
>
> I further believe that collaboration on reaching goals, without some
> contextual framework of the goals potential impact (either positive, neutral
> or negative) on progress toward an intentional state, is less desirable than
> choosing goals that develop toward specific and measurable progress within
> the larger context.

I don't deny that that collaboration, in and of itself, cannnot be result in
negative outcomes. Terrorists effectively collaborate!

That said, my contribution to the human race will be focused on getting
people to:

   - Understand the potential positive outcomes of collaboration
   - Develop innovative structures to make this possible
   - In the process provide increased opportunities to those that have great
   ideas that can benefit possibly benefit humanity but are currently are
   marginalized

I encourage you to contribute any thoughts and intelligence that supports a
particular strategic direction that you think we should pursue.

Also note, that I will be authoring a report on Ecosystems at roughly the
end of march on the concept of Ecosystems, that will be an input into the
Open Infrastructure Report that is being jointly developed by the Forward
Foundation, OK and the P2P Foundation. The broader topic is Ecologies and
Ecosystems.

Any substantive analysis could be integrated into my portion of the report.
Full credit will obviously be given to the contributing authours.

Let me know what you think.