[p2p-research] on the conflict between the soft network economy and the hard physical economy

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 04:39:10 CET 2010

Interesting quote, that could perhaps stimulate a number of interesting
reactions?

see:
http://liquidculture.wordpress.com/2010/01/07/avatar-3d-as-cinematic-milestone-and-sign-of-our-cultural-zeitgeist/

Thus we see a conflict between the “soft” economy and the “hard”. What is
absent, however, is a more coherent, comprehensive analysis that takes this
political dimension one step further and recognizes how the allegedly “soft”
economy is itself directly based on the “hard”. *Avatar* is just an action
movie, you can’t expect it to dive into such complex reasoning. But the
conflict depicted by the film – between sublime, “intangible” wealth and
prosaic, “tangible” – is just fiction, it doesn’t exist in the real world.
The computers that enable the “new” economy in our society are indeed based
on an abundance of oil, coal, steel and an almost inexhaustible range of
other commodities.