[p2p-research] a new funding mechanism for useful online services

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 14:52:32 CET 2010

On 1/5/10, Ryan Lanham <rlanham1963 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/5/10, Sepp Hasslberger <sepp at lastrega.com> wrote:
>>

>> What I see happening is that p2p will be taking much of the current
>> playing field of those large corporations and converting what they are
>> providing into direct p2p interaction and services. That leaves them with
>> little to do, and I can't imagine them just folding up and going home. So a
>> new, outward-directed field of play for those entities would seem to be a
>> necessity, and a guarantee for harmonious development in the future.
>

> Hi Sepp,
>
> I agree with your assessment in the long term.  I have trouble envisioning
> transitions.  I say what you said in several ways:
>
> 1. Corporate profits are harder to come by.
> 2. Because of (1) the credit economy is not working.
> 3. Over 40% of US profits are earned by investment banks or large
> banks...not sustainable.
> 4. Worker satisfaction in the US is at all-time lows--only 45% of employees
> are satisfied with their work.
> 5. Most of the developed world (though not so much the US) is entering an
> acute but prolonged demographic crisis.  Europe and Japan are particularly
> at risk here.  Fertility rates in Germany are now below 1.3 ... that is a
> society ending number in two generations.  US population will be 3x that of
> Russia by 2050...a remarkable number for us old Cold Warriors.
> 6. Africa, India, China and much of South/Central America are becoming
> middle class.
> 7. Technology innovation is clearly accelerating.
>
> Those are points where I start.  I then set 2020, 2030, 2040, 2050 out on a
> piece of paper and try to come to some paths or conclusions that seem to
> lead to the world you describe (which I agree is a plausible and desirable
> outcome).  I just don't get very far.
>
> Ryan

P.S.

I would simply add that what is missing is a new general definition of
individual and national wealth.  GDP is flawed.  Nations don't get rich by
producing investment banking.  Some people do.  Stuff matters.  Yet we are
entering an age of abundance of capacity for stuff...so that form of wealth
is dying...this is what I hear when Michel says capitalism is dying (which I
agree with...longer term.)

P2P needs to redefine wealth.

Ryan