[p2p-research] combining open source and coops in the uk

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 03:28:20 CET 2010

Hi Josef,

thanks for keeping me in the loop with this, this is something the p2p-f
wants to support and make known outside the UK,

are you familiar with Bastien's appeal to the coop/social economy world?

Michel

via Josef Davies-Coates <josef at uniteddiversity.com> Jan 04 04:46PM
^<?ui=2&view=bsp&ver=1qygpcgurkovy#125fc4a8e639b579_digest_top>

Hi all,

I'm thinking of co-ordinating the production of 3 events during
Cooperative Fortnight June 19th - July 3rd 2010 about the potential of
uniting the Open Source and Co-op movements.

The rough idea for the 3 events is:

1) presenting the amazing achievements of open source software/
hardware to people in the co-op movement
2) presenting the amazing achievemenets of the co-op movement to
people in the open source world
3) a big open space event that bring everyone together to try and
answer a question like "how can the open source and co-operative
movements help each other to thrive (in the face of climate, energy
and economic uncertainty)?"

The events would (most likely) take place in Manchester and London.

Who would like to get involved/ present/ fund/ help make it happen?

A bit of background...

Ed Mayo, who headed up the new economics foundation (nef) when I
worked there for a while has recently taken on a job heading up
Co-opsUK.

In his first speech
http://www.cooperatives-uk.coop/live/images/cme_resources/Public/speeches/a_dog_helps_dog_world.pdf
he state that one of the central economic challenges is to:

"6. to take advantage of the digital economy, we can embrace the
creative commons of co-operation online, from open source to platforms
for user generated content, rather than try to shore up traditional
private business. If there can be increasing as well as diminishing
returns to investment in a knowledge economy, then economic policy
should economic sharing and limit private monopolies, rather than
increasing the protectionism of intelletual property as the UK and EU
has done."

I met with Ed shortly after he started his new job and we discussed
some of the amazing potential for Co-operative and Open Source
movements to well, cooperate.

For example, imagine what could happen if the Mondragon Assembly
factory factory (i.e. they make things that makes things)
http://www.mondragon-assembly.com/ (itself part of a much larger co-op
group) co-operated with people on the Open Manufacturing list
http://openmanufacturing.org/ and amazing projects like Open Source
Ecology http://openfarmtech.org !

Please let me know ASAP if you can help make this happen.

Thanks!

Josef.

--
Josef Davies-Coates