[p2p-research] Free flipper! argues scientist

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 16:40:23 CET 2010

Hi Ryan,

I disagree that p2p must be 'atheistic', I would agree it is based on
(post-)secular spirituality,

pure atheistic secularism, which destroys our participative link with the
nature and the totality of the universe, with its radical subject/object
split, is co-extensive with capitalism, modernity and industrial society, it
is the system we are in the process of leaving.

As Paul Ray has shown, about 25% of the western population are believers in
religions, though they sometimes still grow in political clout, their
numbers are slowly but surely dwindling and they can't keep their young from
secularising, including in the U.S., as recent data have confirmed

The modernist population is dwindling as well, it's about 35-40%, so still
dominant

but the post-secular segment, which rejects belief but is open to the inner
life, has been growing roughly from 25 to 30% in a decade or so,

P2P is definitely not associated with the modernist agenda of separation and
domination,  but part of the participative consciousness of the post-secular
segment of the population, in it most pure form, as shown by susan cook
greuter, the p2p ethos only represents at most 2% of the western population,
but it is the also the 'ideal' of the post-secular segment.

Now what concerns machines as peers. Recognition has always been the result
of social struggle, either by those wishing recognition themselves, or by
those moved by the suffering of these (as in the case of slavery and animal
suffering).

So for machinic peerdom to emerge, either machines must be articulate
themselves about their suffering and need for recognition, or a group of
humans must be empathic with that perceived suffering.

For the foreseeable future, that does not seem to be the case, and there not
even single signs that it would, machines are still objects, programmed by
us.

Nevertheless a peer spirituality would be generally respectul of all
subjects and objectgs, although in different ways, so p2p would be good for
robots.

I choose to see, but this is a metaphysical presupposition that is not
provable in fact, though the stated experience of natives peoples and other
adherents of participative spiritualities, that consciousness is not a
treshold affair (though it has punctuated tresholds in its continuum), but a
continuum. In that sense, I do believe that rocks and objects do have very
subtle forms of 'consciousness' (though not at the individual level, but I
do think that there are rudiments of some very subtle forms of
intentionality in all matter. All matter contains matter/energy, and
information that organizes it, and I consider that information to be its
'spirit',

Michel