[p2p-research] Free flipper! argues scientist

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 04:21:10 CET 2010

there is an interesting spiritual background to this.

It is possible to interpret the evolution of religious feeling (I'm not
implying progress necessarily) as a increasing condensation of the spiritual
force away from the objects of nature. Animist peoples see the spirit
everywhere, both in living and non-living things; as we moved to
polytheistic religion, it was condensated in some more general personalized
principles, and finally, with monotheism, is concentrated into one God. This
paradoxically depletes the natural universe from spirit, and henceforth,
nature becomes an object to be treated in secular and capitalist industrial
society.

There is a difference between East and West in that regard, the western
oriented monotheistic religions violently suppress earlier modes of
consciousness, and so there the de-spiritualisation of the world is very
radical, but the eastern religious reforms, like Buddhism and the renewal of
Hinduism, remain essentially polytheistic (buddhism is often mistaken for a
non-religion by westerners focusing on the texts of the buddha instead of
the lived reality of popular religion), but as an overlay on surviving
animism.

This has concrete consequences, though it may appear that east asian
countries like Japan are just as furiously industrializing, and hence have
taken over objectified nature in their consciousness, the earlier modalities
are just as strong and co-existing. Hence, since rocks are inhabited by
spirits, machines obviously does as well. So Asian peoples treat their
robots are animated spirits, without having to invent a fake humanity to
them, as transhumanist-influenced people may want to do.

I witnessed this myself at close hand when I filmed a Japanese family with a
Aibo dog pet, treated as westerners would treat a living pet, completely
non-probematically, and it explains a lot of (for us) 'weird' behaviour,
such as people writing love letters to known virtual avatars (of course, our
children do it with santa, but in Japan, we're talking adults).

To Ryan's question, I'm tempted to reply: we are still very far away to have
robots with a complex consciousness and complexity that would put them on a
par with humans; two keys for me are: 1) are they suffering? ; 2) are they
asking for it. So far, my answer would be no, but that does not imply we
cannot invent a ethics of treating complex objects, and the day the two
factors will exist, we can start recognizing them as true persons as well.

Right now of course, this is a s-f discussion, while animal suffering on the
other hand, is very very real. Transhumanists generally prefer these s-f
discussions though.

Michel