[p2p-research] Top 15 Shareable Books

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 22:06:27 CET 2010

Wikipedia is not distributed, but we regularly describe it as P2P.  While I
agree open source and free technologies are allied, personally I don't think
they are essential to P2P.  If they are, then free/open source and P2P are
essentially synonymous except for the distributed part...which is
comparatively a rare trait.  One can't even claim the pirate sites were
truly distributed.

I think Peer to Peer is exactly what is says...from a peer to a peer.  To
me, that is the revolution of Twitter and Facebook.  Whether or not someone
can copy it or whether someone else profits by it are moral issues, but
irrelevant to the idea of peer to peer.

I am a great support of both libre and open software, but those limits are
completely separate from the P2P definitions.

Ryan

--
Ryan Lanham
rlanham1963 at gmail.com