[p2p-research] Jimmy Wales against on-line culture of violence

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 19:12:44 CET 2010

Hi Andy,

the p2p list fits a subject specific list, 'peer to peer', but accepts
pluralism within that,

however, I think it is legitimate to refuse say racist theorizing here,
since that would clearly indicate a radical opposition to any realization of
p2p

I do however, also insist on civility, i.e. all can be said, but must be
able to be said without harsh ad hominem attacks, insults and the like

of course, our elastic is quite large, and it is only a systematic
insistence on crossing that line that would create an issue

as for moderator powers, I gave them away on this list, to kevin and ryan,
on ning, I have to ban spammers on a weekly basis

we had one conflict here, with marc fawzi, who wanted to unilaterally demand
a governance change on this list; I proposed to create a panel to discuss
it, he refused that, and left the list,

all in all, I think we do have a longstanding civil discourse here, and I
personally believe that is a good think; actually, I think it is a
disservice to the oppressed to hold them to lower standards in that regard,
and I think most people have a natural understanding of what respectful
communication actually means

Michel