[p2p-research] One year update on the University of the People

Ryan rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 23:04:12 CET 2010

  Sent to you by Ryan via Google Reader: One year update on the
University of the People via Tony Bates by Tony Bates on 2/26/10

Kolowich, S. (2010) Tuition-free, online education? Try University of
the People USA Today February 22

This provides a good update on the progress of the global, tuition free
University of the People. So far it has just over 300 students, and is
likely to have major problems getting accreditation in the USA (which
might say more about US accreditation procedures than it does about the
UofP). It is heavily dependent on volunteer instructors, around which
there have been some obvious difficulties.

However, in my view it is far too early to judge the success or
otherwise of this project. I think the key is to find an existing high
quality university partner who will accept credits from the University
of the People. This will then open a route for formally recognized
qualifications. This partner is less likely to be in the USA, but may
be one of the nationally recognised open universities in other
countries.

This article is well worth reading in full if you are interested in
open education.

Things you can do from here:
- Subscribe to Tony Bates using Google Reader
favorite sites