[p2p-research] [Commoning] Am I missing any commons?

Alex Rollin alex.rollin at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 23:32:22 CET 2010

I was just reading Stefan's critique of Franz presentation on 'pattern
languages' and I am reminded of the fuzziness of so much of our definitions
from another perspective.

Ryan, you mentioned, in some way, that the applicability of P2P is central,
and as I did a little background checking I was reminded that pattern
languages, by Christopher Alexander, are problem oriented, at least on the
design pattern side of things.

On the one hand, this is like the music man, looking around for a problem,
drumming up music about all sorts of decay, rallying the troops, and putting
up something new.  On the other we are attempting, together, on the list, to
... come up with patterns and structures ... that answer our issues and
problems from our past experience.  Of course lots of other things, too!
 And we need both and much more!

Anyways, I am working on the wiki for the last few days, and trying to find
a way to "play through" a set of pages that allow a new visitor to build
'context' around problems, and then to visit pages that offer pattern
solutions.  On the other hand, I am aware of several very common problems,
some of which have pages already and some don't, and so I am adding to
those.

I got very hung up in the discussion about the Commons, and a definition of
such, because that's the point I was at... trying to figure out how to
present something so big, so general, so multi-valent, to someone with an
unknown problem (who, we assume, might consider a Commons-based solution.)

Alex
I cannot teach anybody anything, I can only make them think.- Socrates