[p2p-research] [Commoning] Am I missing any commons?

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 18:35:10 CET 2010

Hi Massimo,

In my writings, I definitely have a class analysis, which of course may be
different than yours, since I claim that the change occurs on a double
front, while the 'producing' class increasingly turns to peer production as
part of its practice of value creation, starting with the immaterial aspects
but moving increasingly in the world of physical 'making', part of the
'managing class' is moving as well, and I use the concept of netarchical
capitalism for that. My position  is similar to some radicals in the french
revolution, who believed that the bourgeoisie had a role to play, even as
they would then betray the interests of the sans-culottes. I think the
situation is somewhat similar and that we are facing a new transition. Our
position as peer producing communities must be at once to use netarchical
capitalism to our benefit, because they are producing platforms and
providing financial means that we need; and also because vis a vis the older
forces of capital, they are often partially 'on our side' (open spectrum,
opposition to net neutrality). This is a question of realism for me. At the
same time though, we need a preferential treatment for allying with those
enterpreneurial forces that respect the commons and are more in harmony with
the p2p value system. Thus we must prefer working with free software coops,
rather than say multinationals. Thus we must prefer say fair trade, to
so-called 'free trade', etc ... One day we may be strong enough to fully
create our own autonomous structures, and we must already do so where we
can. But this relentless push must be accompanied with a true sense of the
possible, the potential and the precise nature of the historical moment we
are in, which is comparable to the early discovery of Marx of the Manchester
manufacturers.

Of course you are right that many in thethe free software movement is not
sufficiently aware of physical dependendies and 'class' issues, many are
liberals, some right-wing libertarians, but are  you in a position to
'change their mind'? By all means critique, but also realize that the fight
for a free culture, i.e. the fight against artificial scarcity, is just as
important as the two other planks, i.e the fight against the
pseudo-abundance of the capitalist economy, and the need to embed both in
social justice. But the thing is, these three plans have to be integrated
and engineered with people that do not necessarily share the full
understanding that you have. Despite these ideological differences, there
are many concrete actions we can unite around. This does not prohibit the
more 'advanced' forces to push the boundaries of the possible.

But if we can unite the free cultural movements, the biospheric defense
movements, and the social justice movements (labour and farm workers), then
we are a long way in the right direction. Despite the p2p foundation being a
pluralistic platform, these goals are clearly stated in our Principles,

So again, a pragmatic alliance and support of Google around open spectrum,
does not imply a full alliance with all it does, nor prohibit us to critique
its netarchical exploitation of the commons wherever that occurs,

In terms of cooptation, I'm in favour of social charters that clearly
delineate what a true commons is, setting boundaries for cooperation with
partially friendly forces,