[p2p-research] Am I missing any commons?

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 14:43:27 CET 2010

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 12:14 AM, Patrick Anderson <agnucius at gmail.com> wrote:
> Michel Bauwens wrote:
>> a P2P commons would have to consists of:
>>
>> open and free input, no exclusions or a priori control of contributions
>>
>> participation in governance by all contributors
>>
>> universal availability
>

> What do you mean by "no exclusions" and "universal availability" when
> speaking of the finite resources in a physical commons?
>
> Are you saying access/admission and use across time must be
> unconditional and infinite in duration?
>
> Not everybody can use the oven at once.  How will we schedule and
> allocate these material assets?
>
> Or any attempt to schedule or allocate automatically disqualify us
> from being either P2P or from being a commons?

Patrick,

The definition that many people have been applying to "commons"
precisely addresses the co-governance of a limited resources, such as
a shared oven. This is what Elinor Ostrum, David Bollier, and others
are writing and talking about in part. (Not an "oven" necessarily, but
shared resources, like fisheries etc. Read Ostrum's book "Governing
the commons")

> Thanks,
> Patrick

Sam Rose