[p2p-research] Am I missing any commons?

Alex Rollin alex.rollin at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 23:59:21 CET 2010

It would seem to me that the discussion of boundaries presupposes a perfect
"Commons" which would have to be the ultimate 'all' of Universe or something
like that.

On that note, it doesn't seem too much a jump to say that a Commons is
always a 'system' of some kind.  If for no other reason than 'nothing is
static, given enough time,' every Commons must be replenished, perhaps used,
but in some way is always expended unless you are referring to Universe,
because otherwise something is always creeping from inside one boundary to
the inside of another.

For this reason, I would add that the term 'boundary conditions' would more
aptly be applied to the potentially arbitrary and hopefully conscientious
useful boundary put around a Commons, with the idea being to say "this is
this commons, with these supply chains, these distribution mechanics, these
replenishment vectors, and any number of potential users involved in
accepting the 'distributions' of the commons, whether that distribution is
of a nature that diminishes the Commons or not.

I have been struggling with a sort of 'exploratory view' of an operation
that works in tandem with a Commons, asking the question 'how does this
operation touch the Commons?'  The idea is to help people find useful
operations that they can undertake that work in league with the idea of
re-enclosing, creating, or generally growing the Commons with some
self-interest in mind.  Think bike fleets, housing, or food cultivation.

Following this, it seems that because a view of a Commons as a system is
useful, and because there are any number of processes happening within that
Commons, that the boundary conditions would refer specifically to the ...
endpoints ... the edges of relevance, on vectors or processes, with regards
to the Commons in question.

I understand where the idea for these conditions came from.  I think they
are much better called P2P operation conditions, and that they are
operational, normative guidelines for P2P operations, as opposed to a
definitive set of conditions for bounding a Commons, whether that Commons is
P2P or not.

The Commons definition/description page on the wiki seems to go at length in
an effort to walk around and nail down the general, global, if not
completely non-local idea of the Commons, and doesn't get into the sort of
detail we are discussing with regards to the 'qualities' of the operation of
a commons, from a P2P perspective or otherwise.

http://p2pfoundation.net/Commons#Definition

I am attempting to contextualize some criticism here, hopefully in a way
that will allow me to do something useful on the wiki with regards to this
information.  Where does it all go!

So, to #1
1. A P2P Commons attempts to maximize free, voluntary and open sharing of
assets that are engaged in the commons.

How about

"A Commons can be, and in some cases is, best managed using a P2P ethos and
principles.  See: Managing a Commons with P2P (link)

Since half the things you list are the specific P2P principles used in
application of the 'how' of Commons governance, I think they would go on
that page.  Some of what you are saying is about what a Commons IS.  I know
you are really into property rights and state enforcement on some level, so,
to say that somewhere in there would be helpful.  I think it's funny that
you say that a Commons is all these things, and yet there is no single state
institution that I am aware of that cannot be corrupted in some way shape or
form that insures perpetuity, so your definitions of what a Commons "IS"
make every Commons besides "Universe" not a Commons.  I'm not picking holes
in this so much as to say that I appreciate your attempts to offer a rather
large perspective on Commons, P2P, management, ownership, and a whole lot of
other things, and I think that teasing them apart would be helpful,
especially since you (and others) have put quite a bit into the principles
page.

Wouldn't it be cool to have a page about the specifics of a Commons in a P2P
context?  I think the idea that there's a P2P context also pries apart the
idea of the Commons in some useful way that might help us be more specific,
brief, and clear on the Commons definition page, too!