[p2p-research] Mike Treder What takes the place of the nation-state?

Ryan rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 23:57:47 CET 2010

  Sent to you by Ryan via Google Reader: Mike Treder What takes the
place of the nation-state? via Ethical Technology on 2/23/10

The nation-state as a primary locus of power in the world is a paradigm
that dates back only a few hundred years. Could that model be replaced
in our lifetimes by something different?

Over the long span of human history (and pre-history), the accumulation
and projection of power have taken many forms. Nation-states have been
the dominant pattern of sovereign political organization for only about
the last two or three centuries. Prior to that, monarchies and
feudalism prevailed.

Although we are all accustomed to the nation-state, there is nothing
magical about it. If another form of organization and governance better
fits changing times, then something else might well become the new
primary model for most if not all of the world.

In a recently concluded poll, we asked IEET readers: “Which country
will be most powerful in 2050?”

Although China was the #1 answer by a wide margin, a significant number
of respondents said they do not expect any nation-state to be dominant
40 years from now.

Just over 10% picked the UN (United Nations), and another 22 people
(about 7% of all voters) provided answers ranging from global
governance to corporations to A.I. singletons.

As one example of the thinking behind this point, here is something
that Chris Smedley, a technology consultant from Toronto, Canada,
posted on my Facebook page in a discussion on the topic (reprinted by
permission):

Countries may not exist as viable entities in 2050. Countries are local
in their scope and suboptimal in managing change…generally ineffective
hangovers.

By 2050 we will be more global in all of our interactions. Geographic
boundaries will seem pointless. Political beliefs and ideologies will
not be managed by a small number of people on behalf of the masses.

Social collectivism using electronic media and global interconnections
will act to create dynamic groups that share common interests and
objectives. This is the time that global social communication is
providing the foundation to change the way people communicate, share
viewpoints, manage themselves, work with others, and effect change.

One can only hope that we get to a global “government” for the global
issues and have local government for issues that are local. Any
organization that fits in between these two extremes will become
increasingly obsolete.

Or perhaps I am too hopeful that the next 40 years of exponential
growth will have a profound and transformative effect on the way that
people act collectively.

What do you think? Is Chris right?

We’ve just posted a new poll for IEET readers asking your opinion on
what might replace the nation-state as a primary locus of power during
this century. Options you can choose from are:

• City-states - If nations recede in power, perhaps strong
municipalities will replace them.

• Multipolar regional blocs - Such as the EU, ASEAN, etc.

• Global government - Either the UN or something that supersedes it.

• A.I. singleton - Friendly or perhaps not.

• Emergent social media - Imagine Facebook or Google Buzz on steroids.

• Corporations - Assuming we’re not there already.

• Anarchy / individualism - If this is your answer, I’d like to hear in
the comments how you would see it taking place.

• Nation-states will continue to rule - Forty years is a long time, but
maybe not long enough to dislodge the nation-state as primary sovereign.

And if you have another idea, feel free to write it in under the
“Other” category.

Thanks for your participation!

Things you can do from here:
- Subscribe to Ethical Technology using Google Reader
favorite sites