[p2p-research] Request: Peer to Peer and Human Evolution

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 16:39:33 CET 2010

On 2/23/10, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com> wrote:

> at least in many countries in western europe, complementary currencies are
> tolerated, and they pay taxes, so they do not seem to be seen as a threat by
> states,
>
> on the contrary, there is support by regional german state governments,
> there is a EU funded pilot in Ghent for implementing a WIR like b2b currency
> (with planned deployment in other countries if successfull)/ there are
> hundreds if not more LETS and other projects that are functioning without
> interference
>
> there are also many state-tolerated if not supported currency initiatives
> in Latin American, and here in Thailand the government has equally learned
> to accept formerly repressed local currencies
>
> recent interventions in the U.S. were clearly related to demonstrated
> massive violations regarding whitewashing of criminal money, as far as I
> understand,

I had a similar response here...where the government immediately said no way
because of money laundering of criminal funds.  We already have problems
with counterfeiters as a small state.

Even still, the Chamber of Commerce is interested if it can be made
electronic.  The government is OK with any system that is electronic (e.g. a
debit card).