[p2p-research] Request: Peer to Peer and Human Evolution

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue Feb 23 08:52:15 CET 2010

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 07:09:54PM -0600, Kevin Carson wrote:

> OTOH, one of the benefits of the emerging network society is its
> opacity to the state, and its ability to function outside the

Very few activities are truly opaque to the state these days,
unfortunately. The trend is up, way up.

> regulatory framework that creates artificial scarcity.  I see a
> darknet economy of networked, encrypted currency transactions, in

It could be only an economy which operates on the slack that
the state has left. Even so the state so far has been extremely suspicious
about e.g. unregulated monetary transactions, and tended to
treat them as if they were criminal.

> which patents and copyrights are ignored, and with its own

Bits yes, atoms no. Since readily inspectable, and difficult
to hide.

> certification and authenticating mechanisms, as the basis for the
> post-state society.

So far there are preciously few such institutions. OpenCA comes
to mind, which is pretty obscure.