[p2p-research] bio is tech bk

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 15:39:30 CET 2010

On 2/22/10, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Ryan,
>
> I don't think that issue has really been covered,
>
> clearly, diy manufacturing is still an edge activity for the moment, but as
> I tried to argue in my infrastuctural posts
>
> see
> http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/open-design-communities-entrepreneurial-coalitions-and-the-partner-state/2009/09/04,
> and the mindmap/prezi visualization of it:
> http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/open-everything-mindmap-and-visualization/2009/09/08
>
> they are in my view the seedform for the distributing manufacturing models
> of the future ...
>
> Sam makes the point that the new manufacturing will much less compete with
> the old models, as first find its own niches where it can do things
> differently,
>
> I think for me it is a practical and experimental matter, once the crises
> (peak oil, warming, resource depletion) start piling up, and one particular
> project or industry shows success, many others will start to follow the new
> model.
>
> I guess the Arduino community and production is the only mature model right
> now, but again, it's a peripheral group for the moment,
>
> the general conditions are of course, availability of extra expertise that
> can be mobilized, low tresholds for physical production and the availability
> of distributed machinery,
>
> Michel

I wonder what the barriers have been to the formation of what we see as new
models?  I am starting to think the issue (as it has always been) is access
to information.  Of course that would be an educator's view.  De Re
Metallica by Georg Agricola (note the translator was the later US president)
revolutionized manufacturing in the Renaissance and probably was the most
important capitalist text ever written...
http://www.farlang.com/gemstones/agricola-metallica/page_001

Who is writing the P2P how to manuals for DIY manufacturing and bio?  I
wonder if P2PF ought to work out a joint advertising deal with Make
Magazine?

Ryan