[p2p-research] bio is tech bk

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 14:31:49 CET 2010

The particularly interesting thing about DIYbio to me is that it is as much
a breadth science as an analytical/depth one alone.  Unlike, say, physics,
or even economics, there is no need for great analytical and/or mathematical
prowess to be a serious biologist.  Of course it helps to know some
statistics and to be good at spacial geometry for biochemistry, but what is
needed is often fairly straightforward--someone with the general science
training of a physician can hope to do work that is at the edge.  Further,
computers can be great assistants in this area today...not someday.

As with garage manufacturing, it is feasible that there will be large
numbers of distributed bio-companies doing everything from purifying cooking
oils to making small batches of nanoparticles, cleaning microbes or
concentrated flavors.  For obvious reasons, regulations in this area become
an issue.  Someone messing with weaponable materials is obviously a problem.

I'd recommend those contemplating distributed manufacturing consider adding
DIYbio to their portfolios.  It's an obvious link.  There will also be
combination areas...e.g. laying down organs through ink-jetting stem cells
onto forms.  Replacement biology alone is a huge area of near-term promise.
One can see this by the fact that advances are coming broadly from a wide
range of institutions globally.  It isn't just at CERN or Harvard, etc.
where things are popping.  Again, breadth sciences/technologies have the
likelihood of moving much faster...as when edge physics could be done on a
notebook in Copenhagen or Zurich as opposed to in a giant machine nations
have to coordinate to build.

Ryan

On 2/22/10, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Bryan Bishop <kanzure at gmail.com> Feb 15 12:03AM -0600 ^<http:///?ui=2&view=bsp&ver=1qygpcgurkovy#126d16926442f959_digest_top>