[p2p-research] Fwd: on the importance of personal servers for the new multi-literate society

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 16:02:25 CET 2010

In my region, the service providers often block this type of serving.
For a long time, for the same cost as broadband internet, I could
access VPS technology, and do most work in web applications.

Now, we are working with the F/LOSS version of Erlang which gives
access to TCP/IP port data transfer (among other ways of distributing
computing). Ubuntu now uses couchdb  (written in Erlang) for remote
storage with it's "ubuntu one" service
http://arstechnica.com/open-source/guides/2009/12/code-tutorial-make-your-application-sync-with-ubuntu-one.ars
 Also, we are working on experiments with eucalyptus and pooling of
resources towards making clouds.

I agree that these "personal server" innovations are important. I also
think that other factors shall emerge at the same time, such multiple
interfaces (not just the commons devices you see now, like laptops,
desktops, mobile devices. I think we will see more sensors and other
devices used as interface to distributed server systems).

I also here rumours of a few people working on a completely graphical
interface (no-text) for programming, which means that you could build
programs by connecting shapes.

Question (to Michel, Sepp, or anyone):

What are some potentials that you see for individuals (most of whom
cannot program very well) for personal servers? What if you had access
(kind if like with Yahoo pipes, but even more powerful) to interfaces
that let you put together functionality for processing information,
computing, etc, similar to the way you might build a structure with
lego blocks?

On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 2:03 AM, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Sepp,
>
> this quote by stephen downes seems important, and it's something I not fully
> understand, I think our readers would benefit if you could explain the
> benefitss of this strategy to them,

Sam Rose
Forward Foundation
Social Synergy