[p2p-research] Request: Peer to Peer and Human Evolution

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 04:49:40 CET 2010

Hi Peter,

I'm putting Kevin Carson in cc, so he can react.

I'm still of two minds regarding internet taxation, but first hand, I don't
see why internet companies should be excempted from contributing to the
public good.

Of course, our communication should not be taxed.

I'm also not intrinsically opposed, and I think I favour, small taxes to
fund a universal license for artists livelyhoods .. but this tax can be on
physical devices for examples

I'm generally not an expert on the tax issue, but have a monitoring tag here
at
http://delicious.com/mbauwens/P2P-Taxation

Generally speaking, what makes sense to me is a radical overhaul of the tax
philosophy away from taxing productive activities, especially labour, and
replace it with taxing financial transacitons, especially the speculative
ones (tobin tax etc..)

I remember yann moulier boutang's approach made a lot of sense to me

see also the smart taxes network: http://smarttaxes.org/

you are of course right that the state (and corporate) institutions are
largely unreformable, but intense pressure from successfull social
alternatives (p2p ones), can drive the change towards more participatory
government

in the long run, my 'european' preference for a specialized sphere taking
care of the public good, should be distinguished from what we know today as
the 'state',

we can imagine a lot of different ways to take care of this, and probably
will need to create new ones, rather than reform the old ones,

I'm by all means interested in learning from your approach and cooperating,
perhaps we could set up a discussion area in the wiki, and post discussion
documents, see how we can find synergies ..

it fits with the goal of developping commons oriented policy frameworks,
which I intend to set as one of my personal goals for 2010

Michel