[p2p-research] Stabilizing Growth through Negative Feedback (was: User Freedom and the Purpose of Profit)

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 17:13:04 CET 2010

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 10:54 AM, Patrick Anderson <agnucius at gmail.com> wrote:
> Richard Stallman wrote:
>> I don't see what happens in this system when there is no
>> reason for growth.  Suppose there are 5 of these collectives which own
>> all the means of production in a certain area, and people keep buying
>> from them, and they keep taking in money, but it makes no sense for
>> them to invest in increased capacity because demand is stable.
>

> These consumers are paying a Price above Cost, so we know the current
> owners are collecting Profit.

All of this assumes that people will possess a fundamental literacy
for operating this way, and that their world view(s) will resonate
with this way of solving problems.

It also assumes that people will *not* want a plurality of ways with
which to come to agreement around making, sharing, using resources. It
assumes they will want one way.

As my friend Bill Tozier is fond of saying:

"There are exactly 2 ways: One, and Many"

http://williamtozier.com/slurry/2008/03/03/there-are-exactly-two-ways-one-and-many

Sam Rose
Forward Foundation
Social Synergy