[p2p-research] Fwd: [fcforum] Fw: iPad DRM is a dangerous step backward. Sign the petition!

M. Fioretti mfioretti at nexaima.net
Thu Feb 11 15:42:18 CET 2010

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 18:28:48 PM +0700, Michel Bauwens (michelsub2004 at gmail.com) wrote:

Michel,
thanks for this:

> It is indeed possible that it may have justicifications and positive effects in
> some cases ...

and for this:

>     > Second whatever we may think of the difficulties of private and
>     > corporate individuals to make money for their creations, to insist
>     > that this is the only possible incentive to create is just factually
>     > wrong,
> I may have reacted, and over-read, your sentence here: "all you get
> is to remove an incentive to make all or almost all of that stuff
> available for everybody."

Yes, I do think you over-reacted here. I said "an", not "all",
probably "one of the" would have been more correct language-wise, but
certainly I didn't say or think "all the incentives".

All I meant, and confirm, that this is what indeed happens in many
**individual cases**. Of course, on a large scale there will always be
some production. If you remove that incentive it is sure that:

- some people will simply start doing something else
- they won't have time, energy, interest left to keep publishing for free

- in many "non-artistic" fields it is also sure that some of them will
  be those who would have published excellent works available to
  everybody otherwise.

Marco
software is used *around* you:            http://digifreedom.net/node/84