[p2p-research] Fwd: [fcforum] Fw: iPad DRM is a dangerous step backward. Sign the petition!

M. Fioretti mfioretti at nexaima.net
Thu Feb 11 08:57:11 CET 2010

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 09:28:29 AM +0700, Michel Bauwens (michelsub2004 at gmail.com) wrote:

> I think it is important to distinguish concepts that describe some
> objective feature of reality, like artificial scarcity and rent, as
> used by me and Kevin respectively, these are just things that exist,
> and our opinion of them.
>
> Copyright is an artificial scarcity creating a rent, period.

Whatever. Call it as you prefer if this makes the discussion faster,
but it still has positive effects in real cases that most analyses simply
ignore.

> Second whatever we may think of the difficulties of private and
> corporate individuals to make money for their creations, to insist
> that this is the only possible incentive to create is just factually
> wrong,

Michel,

can you please point in the archives to the message where **I** made
such a claim as the one you write?

> Think about the medieval cathedrals, built in non-market societies,
> just to see that it is possible to create grand creations under
> these conditions.

I love medieval cathedrals, but I still prefer very much a system
where individuals have more opportunities to make a living _without_
directly pleasing, and depending on the local King, Cardinal, Duke or
any other central ruler. Even if the example was relevant, since
cathedrals are material productst that can only be built by many
people working together for a long time. They are even more remote
from the case I submitted than performing arts or poetry.

Marco