[p2p-research] Fwd: [fcforum] Fw: iPad DRM is a dangerous step backward. Sign the petition!

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 03:28:29 CET 2010

I think it is important to distinguish concepts that describe some objective
feature of reality, like artificial scarcity and rent, as used by me and
Kevin respectively, these are just things that exist, and our opinion of
them.

Copyright is an artificial scarcity creating a rent, period. The issue of
whether is acceptable or not is a separate issue, but I don't think it is
intellectually fruitful to want to brush away reality, in order to
ideologically justify a reality.

Second whatever we may think of the  difficulties of private and corporate
individuals to make money for their creations, to insist that this is the
only possible incentive to create is just factually wrong, both historically
(was there no creation before copyright enforcement), and today (is there no
creation because things are digitally copyable).

There are many different types of incentives to create, but, in specific
circumstances, creations which require particular intensive efforts at the
starting phase, may suffer from indiscriminate copying.

However, please note that copyright reformers adhering to the open and free
value system and who are opposing artificial scarcity rents, do take this
into account, while total abolitionists are confident that some other means
would be found, though it is not clear to me what that is. *Philippe
Aigrain, and perhaps Herve de Crosnier*, have specific proposals for
different types of creativity.

But even in the latter case. Think about the medieval cathedrals, built in
non-market societies, just to see that it is possible to create grand
creations under these conditions.