[p2p-research] Fwd: [fcforum] Fw: iPad DRM is a dangerous step backward. Sign the petition!

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 15:09:02 CET 2010

I understand the idea behind objecting to republishing, but I don't see it
as enforceable at all, can you prosecute someone because you miss on a
banner?

the fact remains that your pages is reproducible at the push of a button,
and it happens all the time and massively, including on this mailing list ..

in my own case, I'm curating material on the wiki and blog, and essentially
my whole activity is about republishing other people's content, but it
represents the hard work of selecting, choosing excerpts, explaining context
etc... The net effect in general is that I can substantially increase
traffic to a place, and that most people (except one in 3 years) are most
happy with that ... I would guess that I'm increasing their reputation,
traffic and potentially income ...

Don't forget that it's not because something is on your site, that people
will come, and other venue that points or excerpts or even copies in full,
creates extra streams to your site. So I must disagree that one publication
is sufficient for 'sharing' and that further sharing adds nothing.

my own ethical point of view is that in 98% of the cases, 1) I only excerpt
2) I point and name the original. In theory, if I would have banner and
google ads, and I would make money, I would consider creating a fund so that
I could share the proceeds with authors, but it may be very difficult to
implement ..

Now I realize that there are people that republish only for commercial gain.
fail to attibute, etc.. This  is I agree an ethical problem. If your
material is copyrighted  you do have legal recource and I'm not opposed to
that, however pragmaticallhy difficult it may be to actually realize in
practice,

Michel