[p2p-research] thanks for engaging on the debate on post-capitalism

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 05:41:38 CET 2010

See
http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/there-is-no-alternative-but-the-alternatives/2010/02/08<http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/there-is-no-alternative-but-the-alternatives/2010/02/08>

2 comments below the article

<http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/there-is-no-alternative-but-the-alternatives/2010/02/08>

There is no alternative but the alternatives: replacing anti-capitalism by
post-capitalism<http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/there-is-no-alternative-but-the-alternatives/2010/02/08>
[image: photo of Michel Bauwens]
Michel Bauwens
8th February 2010

 Capitalist Realism itself, is basically the cultural condition in which,
with Marx, we stare with clear eyes at “naked, shameless, direct, brutal
exploitation” (4) but yet…keep calm and carry on. We are not unmoved
exactly; but yet still we do nothing. The details of why and how, and the
ramifications in various domains, are the object of the book.

The following excerpt comes from a stimulating review of a book by *Mark
Fischer, “Capitalist Realism”*, positively estimated by the author of the
fascinating and stimulating Angel Economics blog, which is quite aligned to
our thinking at the P2P Foundation.

Here he responds to one of the observations of the author:

Thesis by Mark Fischer:

“For most people under twenty in Europe and North America, the lack of
alternatives to capitalism is no longer even an issue”

Response<http://angeleconomics.blogspot.com/2010/01/this-is-great-little-book.html>by
Angel Economics:

“To some degree this is true. However, a closer look would reveal that
throughout this stratum, within numerous subgroups - each in their different
ways - there are explorations taking place of ways of doing things which go
beyond capitalism. Most do not explicitly or self-consciously see things in
those terms of course – to provide that awareness of the wider context and
meaning, is the role of a movement (see below). But still. Thriving knitting
groups; shared amateur photography (with a high degree of editing skill and
artistic vision); open-source software; filesharing (the engine for this
comes from the young, and many take this source of acquiring data simply as
axiomatic); all sorts of geeky DIY, from biotechnology, pharmacology,
permaculture, health analysis and augmentation, robotics; binraiding (shops
throw out great stuff); swapping and ‘freecycling’ consumer goods; etc etc.
There is a homebrew industrial revolution, and the young are often on its
leading edge.”

This discussion is followed up by another one, about the extraordinary power
of capital to coopt resistance. It does this either by creating a split
between thinking and acting, it doesn’t care what you think, as long as you
don’t take action (for example it can rejoice in the anticapitalist Avatar
bringing in $500m or more, as long as it is not associated with concrete
action); or, by interpreting your resistance as a spectacular performance
which it can capitalize
on<http://generationbubble.com/2010/01/11/youth-in-revolt-creative-class-creative-destruction/>
.

Citing Fisher:

Capitalism does not merely appropriate but actually sets about producing
cultural artifacts with pre-packed anti-capitalism in them. Taking a recent
example, Fisher notes that “[a] film like Wall-E exemplifies what Robert
Pfaller has called ‘interpassivity’: the film performs our anti-capitalism
for us, allowing us to continue to consume with impunity”

This leads AE to call for a more explicit anticapitalism as an answer
against cooptation:

*“All it would take for artistic works to become un-commodifiable in a
stronger sense, would be the existence of a genuine anticapitalist political
movement to which they could attach themselves. If there were such a
movement which threatened capital, and it was generally known that some work
expressed its aspirations, you can be sure it would become indigestible by
MTV, the Wellcome Trust, or any other 400ft disembodied capitalist throat.*

*Putting this in other words: insofar as anti-capitalism is merely expressed
or performed or displayed, it is not, truly, anti-capitalism.”*

He concludes that:

*“A proper political movement needs to be constituted with the basic aim of
fundamentally restructuring socioeconomic relations.”* (and even mentions
current plans to create a ‘fifth
international<http://www.zmag.org/znet/viewArticle/23692>
‘)

And yet he must concede (as does this other blog
author<http://logicalregression.blogspot.com/2010/01/left-right-left-right-left_23.html>
):

“The hard Left is peculiar at the moment. Popular discontent with the social
status quo runs extremely deep and wide, and, in fact, is even often very
clear about the identity or cause of its problems, viz. capitalism. And yet
the hard Left virtually never seems able to tap into this.”

I would suggest that this condition is terminal, because the left as we
understand it, is a movement of resistance against, but also co-evolving
with industrial capitalism. While it can be proud of having achieved a
redistributive welfare state (only partially dismantled under
neoliberalism), it has a very long and consistent record of failure as
anti-capitalist movement.

I would suggest the analogy with marriage, in order to explain the different
feeling-tone of the P2P Foundation’s attempt to create a new type of peer to
peer social movement, that is substantially different from the approach of
the traditional left.

Think about a forced marriage, which nevertheless was acceptable because
both partners benefitted (capital and labour). The relationship is
fundamentally contradictory and conflictual, but fighting occurs only as
long as the partners see a future in the relationship. As long as you fight
against, but within the framework posed by capital as the dominant system,
it actually means you are still attached to it. This is for me what
anticapitalism signifies, beyond the radical but powerless demands to mouth
a total opposition to the system of capital (in this, the radical left
ressembles the catholic church and its demand to accept the credo first and
above all). It is not only rather powerless and has a record of failure, but
actually signifies a taking serious of capital as the central issue of life.
Paradoxically, it feeds the beast that it wants to bring down.

Post-capitalism though is different. It is already profoundly convinced that
the system of capital is dying, because it knows that an infinite growth
machine is a logical and physical impossibility in a finite worth that is
now seriously subject to biospheric destruction. But it also knows that
empty radical stances are powerless. And it knows from the record of
history, that whenever new hyperproductive alternatives of value production
occured, as it now does with peer production, governance and property, they
were at first used by the previously dominant but dying core system, before
replacing it. So, we essentially do not worry that forces of capital use
open, participative, and commons oriented modalities to strengthen
themselves, because by doing so they actually strengthen the post-capitalist
alternatives. What matters most is not the fear of cooptation, but rather
the protection of the autonomy of the post-capitalist peer to peer logics
that we apply amongst ourselves as peer producers. If we live this core
relationship in the core of the value production modality, and the market
players use the commons to create added value for the market, this is
acceptable to us to the degree that the core functioning remains possible.
Only when market players use their dominance to subvert the core logic, say
by creating ‘fake distorted commons’ (as explained by Massimo de Angelis),
do we worry and fight back.

Therefore as post-capitalists, we know that we have to build and construct
alternatives, but the core of our consciousness is not directed against a
powerful enemy (because we know the Emperor is already naked), but rather to
insure the conditions for the survival and thriving of the human race, in
the period of terminal transition. We also know that demanding acceptance of
a credo, is counterproductive and isolating, though we do have social
charters, that state clearly the minimal demands for operating in a commons.
We just ask that you behave in that equipotential way, not that you sign up
to a anticapitalist credo. Rather we work with everyone which agrees in the
positivity of the alternative, and do not care that they may say they
support capitalism, as this can means so many different things to so many
different people. In fact, since we are able to divorce the market from
capitalism, we know that many market players are natural allies, as they
themselves already subverting the core logic of accumulation of capital.
Fair trade, socially responsible investments, social enterpreneurs and the
like, are already subsuming the forms of capital, to logics which are no
longer about accumulation but about the production of social goods. These
enterpreneurs are not the enemies of peer producing communities, but allies.
They are groping towards the chaotic attractor that is the peer to peer
logic of partnership in the creation of value. As peer producing communities
we must choose to preferentially treat with those market forces that respect
our autonomy, and have formats that are maximally aligned with our own
ethos, but we accept all those that respect our autonomy and core
functioning as a commons. This in my view can create a much wider alliance
of social forces, than a mere anti-capitalist alliance, which is in the
current configuration, usually a marginal affair of true believers.

The importance is to maximize those type of social relations, in my view
‘peer to peer’, which go beyond the greed and mere exchange of the
capitalist marketplace, and make us live today, the social logic which we
want to become the core of the new society and civilization of tomorrow.
Post-capitalism means living our values today, and creating the institutions
to strengthen and defend it, without waiting for capitalism to die. As
previous systems which had become parasitic, and were faced with a more
socially productive alternative, invariably did. This does emphatically not
mean a passeist or non-political attitude, just a more judicious management
of our transformative energies. The wounded beast has outlived its
usefullness, let’s move on.

To conclude, another
challenge<http://globalguerrillas.typepad.com/globalguerrillas/2010/01/journal-brands-and-hollow-nationstates.html>to
the traditional left strategy, by John Robb:

It’s *…*

dated nostalgia for populist movements and progressive government reform —
that legacy thinking is utterly useless, as a strategy for success, given
the rise of a dominant and sovereign global system that doesn’t have any
governing body to appeal to

*What do you think?*

This entry was posted on Monday, February 8th, 2010 at 12:02 pm and is filed
under P2P Books <http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/category/p2p-books>, P2P
Politics <http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/category/p2p-politics>. You can
follow any responses to this entry through the RSS
2.0<http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/there-is-no-alternative-but-the-alternatives/2010/02/08/feed>feed.
You can leave
a response<http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/there-is-no-alternative-but-the-alternatives/2010/02/08/comment-page-1#respond>,
or trackback<http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/there-is-no-alternative-but-the-alternatives/2010/02/08/trackback>from
your own site. Edit
this entry.<http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/wp-admin/post.php?action=edit&post=7274>
anti-capitalism by post-capitalism”

   1. TheMediumDog <http://angeleconomics.blogspot.com/> Says:
   February 9th, 2010 at 6:57
am<http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/there-is-no-alternative-but-the-alternatives/2010/02/08/comment-page-1#comment-421903>
   e<http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/wp-admin/comment.php?action=editcomment&c=421903>

   Regarding this thesis, on post-capitalism as distinguished from the Left,
   and the more general comments - a few points:

   1. Partly, we’re just dealing here with definitions. Personally, I would
   define the Left as that political position and constituency whose highest
   value is social justice. (The Right’s would be freedom, I suppose). As such
   it obviously always remains around, just waxes or wanes empirically. But
   even on that empirical ground, it seems to me that with your ‘marriage’
   analogy you are DEFINING the trad. Left as (to get out the old terms)
   reformists. But that’s only ONE strand, even in the labour movement.

   2. I would caution against being convinced that capital is dying. I see
   no logical nor physical impossibility in the perpetuation of the basic
   relations of capitalism. The state of the biosphere is no limit - it can be
   incorporated, via geoengineering. And I am not at all sure that, even in the
   most radical visions of techno-futurism (except where we become a single
   Borg-like organism, which defines the problem away), power-differentials
   exploited economically (what capitalism basically is) will simply dissolve.

   3. For all the imagination and exciting work that is occurring, under the
   broad heading of P2P/post-capitalism, my sense is that we are still talking
   about a relatively minor portion of the economy. The trend may be upward; we
   may be talking about structually important sectors where there are P2P
   relations. But it is seriously misleading to over-emphasise this, or to see
   it pointing inevitably toward the future.

   As soon as you countenance other trajectories, a unified political
   movement in a stronger sense starts to seem more important.

   I propose a challenge to the P2P foundation: To display, unambiguously,
   with statistics to back it up, the portion of world GDP (or, you can choose
   different measures if you think GDP misses what is important) currently
   under P2P relations; and to ground firmly projections into, say, the next 5
   years.

   4. I STRONGLY disagree (though I know I’m in a minority here) that market
   relations are compatible with P2P/a ‘commons’ structure. And equally, I
   think divorcing the market from capitalism is not coherent (I will argue
   this with all comers). That doesn’t imply that private firms producing, say,
   a Reprap can’t be part of the wider movement. But we must be lucid and clear
   - fuzziness is the precondition of cooptation.
   2. Michel Bauwens <http://www.p2pfoundation.net/> Says:
   February 10th, 2010 at 6:39
am<http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/there-is-no-alternative-but-the-alternatives/2010/02/08/comment-page-1#comment-421933>
   e<http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/wp-admin/comment.php?action=editcomment&c=421933>

   Interesting points.

   I agree with some of your points, but not all. So here my reactions:

   1) I agree with your understanding of left-right dynamics, though only a
   portion of the right is for freedom, the other is actually for authority.
   I’m not against the left, I consider myself squarely on the left, but the
   P2P Foundation itself is pluralist, i.e. seeks to work with all who agree
   pragmatically with the construction of concrete p2p projects and
   world-building as a focus. Concerning the left, I like a left which is
   thoroughly cognizant and self-reflexive of its historical relationship with
   the industrial system and era.

   My marriage analogy does not imply reformism, on the contrary, I’m saying
   that even when the focus is total resistance, it is still focused on the
   ‘enemy’ and paradoxically feeds his existence. So I would insist that
   resistance (unavoidable when you’re under constant attack) is always coupled
   with alternative-world-construction and already living the maximum amount of
   relations and ethos and value production of the world we want and see
   possible.

   2. Regarding capitalism as dying. I agree this is contentious. My
   conviction is, almost per definition, that an infinite growth system is
   logically and physically impossible, and that, if no p2p emerges, other
   oppressive systems will emerge. See what happened after WW I, and the death
   of that hyper-liberal wave, you had fascism, communism, and profound state
   control in the other countries. Pure capitalism was nearly dead and no
   social forces really believed in its survival. Now, some people believe that
   green capitalism can integrate externalities, but I think it suffers from
   huge contradictions that are only a temporary solution. I could be run. But
   geo-engineering I do not regard in any way as practical in any real sense.
   It’s a pipe dream, and I can’t imagine that humanity will tolerate such
   grand risks.

   3. Regarding the proper place of p2p. Nothing in our literature would
   suggest that p2p is nothing but emergent. We are in the situation of Marx
   who witnessed a few thousand workers in Manchester, yet had the intuition
   that this was the new logic of society. In other words, there are empirical
   signs that the very DNA of our economy and politics is changing, in the
   direction of p2p. This is observable and the 10,000 wiki pages and 30,000
   tags are empirical confirmation. The question is therefore indeed whether is
   it just a subsystem, easily integrated in capitalism, as most analysts
   think, such as Benkler and Lessig say, or whether the post-capitalist logic
   inherent in the p2p dynamic, will go from seed form to parity to dominance.
   The latter evolution is the ‘bet’ of the P2P Foundation, but of course, we
   can’t prove that future, and I fully accept a different scenario, i.e. a
   different post-capitalist scenario that is oppressive and possible worse
   than capitalism. However, my insistence of p2p ‘transcendence’ in no way
   obviates the need for political action and for a unified political movement.
   If you read our statement of principles, this is one of the key goals, a
   unifying of social forces that support more equality and justice, and hence,
   an interconnection of the free culture movements, worker and farmers
   movements, and “socialized enterpreneurs” that help sustain our commons.

   Now if you have the funds for me, we nevertheless gladly produce such a
   statistical study, and we have collected a sizeable number of statistics and
   metrics confirming p2p growth. Barring funding, you could go through the
   appropriate tagged material on the topic.

   4. If you disagree that market relations can co-exist with p2p and a
   commons structure, you would be forced to deny that the free software and
   open hardware models exist, since currently, they can’t exist without those
   market relations, no alternative value system is able to sustain them at
   present. No Linux, no Arduino, with their market ecologies. Perhaps
   Wikipedia, but it is patronage driven and therefore also indirectly relies
   on the market structure. However, imagining a commons that does NOT rely on
   such market ecology is theoretically possible, is possible, and it is my
   expectation that in a political economy where p2p has effectively become the
   dominant core, it will evolve in that direction. For now, FS/OH projects are
   not long term sustainable, and they have nearly all chosen for the
   combination of commons/community, FLOSS/OH Foundation governance, and
   enterpreneurial coalitions linked to the market. We could work as open
   communities to create coalitions adopting formats, such as coops, that are
   much more inline with p2p values, and this is one of the priority planks at
   the P2P Foundation. However, signs of such evolution are extremely weak
   still.