[p2p-research] conditions for successfull resilience

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 16:03:46 CET 2010

Michel,

On Sun, Feb 7, 2010 at 9:35 PM, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Sam,
>
> I think you are right on target, and you are one of the people emintently
> capable of bridging theory and practice.
>
> My case is very different, I have two left hands, so I choose a different
> practice, that of internetworking and information/education through
> permanent synthesis of what the movement is doing, thinking, learning ...
> notice for example how the wiki is hardly what I say, but  rather organized
> pilfering of the collective intelligence of the associated movements. This
> is both my limitation, but also I think a quality, which has its place in
> the overall technology.

Yes, there is no downplaying of the value of p2p wiki and blog as
knowledge, synthesis, analysis, and information sources of tremendous
value. If all p2pf ever did was what it's doing now, it would be
internationally valuable/foundational in the efforts of people to
think about how to apply these concepts. So, no judgement is meant to
be passed by me on theory building.

The perspective that I am having is that people are increasingly
asking me how to apply this theory. I am realizing that application of
p2p theory has likely been viewed as being a massive undertaking,
requiring huge resources, cultural and political barriers, and general
difficulty. Plus, the fact is that the models/theories themselves were
in need of intellectual rigor and exploration to create a core
literacy of what is meant by all the main contributors to this way of
thinking. There is no blanket definition. Yet, we (Forward Foundation)
think there are core identifiable patterns that can be observed in all
of the basic survival needs areas of humans. We are pushing this week
to  publish this document and would love some feedback from this list
when we do.

The point I am getting to is that there are clues about how to
effectively and efficiently apply p2p theory in p2p theory itself. It
can inform design, economics, governance, education, science, resource
interaction, etc. The working idea as I see it is usually that
application begins on the scale of a person, connecting with and
working with another person, and builds from there.

email: samuel.rose at gmail.com
http://socialsynergyweb.com