[p2p-research] Fwd: [fcforum] Fw: iPad DRM is a dangerous step backward. Sign the petition!

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 21:01:46 CET 2010

On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 1:57 PM, Kevin Carson <
free.market.anticapitalist at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/5/10, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I think there is a natural difference in quality which would drive user
> > choice.
> >
> > "Illegal" filesharing networks have notorious quality problems (spam,
> fakes,
> > phishing, low quality of recordings, damanaged files, traps by recording
> > industry) which create a higher treshold of effort and enjoyment. So, I'm
> > assuming that if you have a choice between a free but difficult to get
> > version, and a very low cost version but that gives you high quality
> > enhanced quality, would drive a business model.
>
> Exactly.  I totally agree with this.  And I don't think any legal
> regime is necessary to replace IP for it to hold true.  There are
> genuine free market rents resulting from the kinds of convenience and
> reliability that you describe--they're just smaller than the rents
> that come from ownership of proprietary content.

This is an observation:  A few such as the one espoused above, is far closer
to what most people would recognize as classically libertarian than
anarchist.  In such a system, given the right to enforce contracts, I am
much closer to happy than in a system that simply flaunts laws.

Ryan