[p2p-research] Fwd: [fcforum] Fw: iPad DRM is a dangerous step backward. Sign the petition!

Kevin Carson free.market.anticapitalist at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 20:07:34 CET 2010

On 2/5/10, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com> wrote:

> freemium and other strategies do sound good, and can be applied to a certain
> extent, but for example Kevin Kelly has revisited his 1,000 true fans model
> with concrete testimonies from artists using it, and the conclusion is, it
> is extraordinarly difficult, it doesn't work for most of those who tried it.
> So it is a minority solution for the moment, not a panacea.

BTW, how does this tie in with what you wrote in a different thread?

"artists and musicians profiting from IP is in the range of 0.ox
percent, so realy it's not really working for the overall majority of
them It's currently mostly a winner take all..."

It sounds to me like IP isn't working out so well for the majority of
artists, either.  And the situation is balanced by Doctorow's
observation that for the majority of small artists, obscurity is a lot
bigger concern than "piracy."

At worst, the abolition of IP will simply be a return to the same
situation we were in in the 19th century, before the rise of the
record industry, where the vast majority of music was generated on a
folk model, and the number of people getting a little money on the
side from performances far exceeded the small number who could get big
money from the sale of sheet music.

--
Kevin Carson
Mutualist Blog:  Free Market Anti-Capitalism