[p2p-research] Fwd: [fcforum] Fw: iPad DRM is a dangerous step backward. Sign the petition!

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 06:16:19 CET 2010

Hi Kevin,

I think there is a natural difference in quality which would drive user
choice.

"Illegal" filesharing networks have notorious quality problems (spam, fakes,
phishing, low quality of recordings, damanaged files, traps by recording
industry) which create a higher treshold of effort and enjoyment. So, I'm
assuming that if you have a choice between a free but difficult to get
version, and a very low cost version but that gives you high quality
enhanced quality, would drive a business model. This is for the U.S. where
taxation is probably anathema, and only voluntary universal licensing would
be applied.

But in Europe where we do not have this issue, all music would be freely
available over various networks, and the tax fund would go to the artists.

I really don't see where the problem is. Music would be universally
available, and artists would get an income, and costs would be so
distributed, as to be almost 'unfelt'. It's the same rationale as for the
tobin tax, a micro tax on transactions, which nobody would really feel but
would nevertheless bring substantial funding that could even replace labour
tax (proposals of boutang in france, who has made the calculations).

Please note that many european artists and parties like the greens support
this approach.

Michel