[p2p-research] Fwd: [fcforum] Fw: iPad DRM is a dangerous step backward. Sign the petition!

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 06:08:48 CET 2010

HI Marco,

I can understand your position, and I am very sympathetic to the core
feeling that one needs to be able to feed's one family. Now there is a whole
polarity between sharing for one's own, sharing with friends, and sharing
with a larger global community. My profound conviction is that if one person
acquires any digital content, he is free to use and share, and that in no
way sharing should be criminalized. But even with piracy, in a country like
Thailand, it is simply immoral to enforce IP law, which destroys the
livelyhood of hundreds thousands of people in the informal economy.

I think these are contradicitons we can live with, and that your
expectations to be paid, and to rely on copyright for this, is legitimate.

A different issue is the ethical issue of attribution. What do we do with
ethical breaches of that nature. If you see somebody reproducing your work,
in a 'commercialized environment' and not attributing or paying you, how
would want the law to react?

Michel