[p2p-research] How do we communicate the value of the commons?

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 05:30:16 CET 2010

Hi Kevin,

I think you are on the right tack with your use/exchange value distinction
..

here's a framework I'm thinking of:

1) ways to calculate in which ways use value commons create exchange value
'around it'

2) finding ways to estimate the value of use value exchanges/gifts

3) finding ways to estimate the addition to well being contributed to 1 and
2

1 would be straightforward monetary estimations; for 2, you could use the
wealth typology developed by the open money movement (in my wiki, can look
up later), as well as look into all the new types of p2p metrics that have
been tried in the last few years (I have a delicious tag); for 3, there is a
whole tradition of global happiness metrics being developed (under the lead
of Bhutan and the GHN conferences)

I think you need to tackle this meta-level first, and that the first phase
of your research is actually about establishing a framework for measuring
value.

I strongly urge you to have a collective intelligence gathering phase first,
using our own network, as we practically know all the people active in these
fields ...

Is this a one man research project your proposing, or something larger?

Michel