[p2p-research] How do we communicate the value of the commons?

Kevin Flanagan kev.flanagan at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 03:46:28 CET 2010

Hello All,

Michel I hope your health has improved.

Im writing a research proposal and Im a bit stuck my main interest is
in exploring the value of the commons for the developing world. But Im
getting hung up on that wonderful word 'value'.

How do we measure the value of the commons? Is it only as a negative
as savings and efficiencies in the monetary economy. I have a feeling
that such a valuation in itself is flawed. Is it sufficient or
appropriate to try and quantify the value of the commons in monetary
terms? I guess I mean that with the knowledge commons the 'use' value
is significant and primary while 'exchange' value is secondary (Im no
economist so please correct me if this sounds ridiculous).
If we are to look for support through the development of policy with
governments and international bodies how should we communicate the
importance of the commons if not in economic terms?

Here is an extract from what Ive been writing.

Today alternative commons based information economies exist alongside
the monetary economy. They meet and feed into each other in different
ways. Supporting and sustaining alternative economies based on the
exchange of common goods today often depends on valuing the commons in
terms of savings and financial efficiencies for the monetary economy.
How do we value the freely shared digital commons in conventional
economic terms is such a valuation even appropriate?

The value of the commons can not be measured simply in economic terms,
particularly in contexts beyond the capture of economic exchange. For
example within the family where a mother better informed about healthy
food chooses to improve the diet of her children or where a community
better informed about the instabilities of the global markets can plan
for community resilience. This is use value versus exchange value,
this kind of value tends to remain invisible in economies that measure
progress and wealth solely by GDP. If we are to find ways of
protecting the commons we must also find ways of communicating this
broader understanding of its value.

How massive are the efficiencies facilitated by Information
communication Technologies? if I took all my digital interactions for
today, I find it hard to imagine what it might have taken to perform
equivalent actions in lets say 1980.

Best

Kevin F